Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Of Angst and Anger

Angst
noun \ˈäŋ(k)st, ˈaŋ(k)st\

:  a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity


 
I first encountered this word when I was about to alight the MRT. Some teenage girls were blocking my way so I said "excuse me" in my usual authoritative voice. They parted and let me through. When I had my back on them, one of them said to another, in a voice loud enough to be overheard: "ang daming angst lang".
 
Kids and their new word. Probably heard or read it somewhere. I smiled to myself as I walk away. I didn't know the meaning of the word but I can still remember the feeling I felt as I associated the word with anger. During those days, I can remember that I was always full of anger. I had no idea why but I'm basically angry about anything and everything. But upon hearing that word, it made me realize that I need to keep my temper in check and not to let it be evident in the way I speak. I tried and failed. Not more than a month passed after the MRT incident, as I was about to get off the elevator at work, a coworker said to me "wag ka masyado ma-angst". I was dumbfounded.
 
Yes, I could have said "excuse me" in a much more nicer way. I could have kept my mouth shut as someone tries to get past the line. Or I could speak out about anything and everything but without the angst in them (I'm using the word Angst here even though what I really mean is Anger because during the time, I really thought they are one and the same)
 
Ever since that fateful second incident, I was able to keep myself in check. I was able to learn how to control my voice and to keep my mouth shut. I was able to speak only after thinking it through. And I was able to communicate my disgust without the "angst". That's until 2 days ago.
 
 
Angry
adjective an·gry \ˈaŋ-grē\
 
: filled with anger : having a strong feeling of being upset or annoyed
: showing anger
: seeming to show anger : threatening or menacing
 
- Merriam-Webter
 
 
In the past couple of days, I've seen and heard myself becoming angry at the slightest provocation. Gone were the days of diplomacy and words of caution. The silvertongue that I've been using is now a thing of the past. Thinking about it makes me angry. Either I'm turning to The Hulk without the Gamma radiation or I'm just one sad individual who's lashing out to the world again, like in my teenage years. Ugh, how I hate myself.
 
As I write this, I'm trying to think back to the day that I lost my diplomatic touch. But as of right now, I really don't know. I really can't remember. I mean, it could be when boyfie stopped me from ranting whenever I'm with him, keeping my emotions bottled up. Or it could be when I got the rejection notice from a company I was trying to join and started plotting how I can get back at them. Or it could be the sad stories of people close to me and the inevitable feeling of being unable to help them. Or it could be the little things that I tend to ignore, piling up until they're too heavy to carry. It could be any one of these or none of these at all. I really don't know. I wish I can say that I don't really care. But this time, I do care. Maybe that's the reason behind the anger. Caring.
 
I've allowed myself to care for people. Something that I've tried to avoid for a very long time. I've even learned not to care for the fate of my own family. I don't even care for myself. Because having someone to care for, to love, who cares for you and loves you in return, it affects you, it changes you. It makes you want to protect them, even angry at yourself for not being able to. Anger that can make you lash out from time to time. Because caring, loving, it gives you a reason to lower down your defenses, show your true self, and even share a part of you with them. That's very dangerous. It's very risky. It's also very worth it.
 
 

6 comments:

  1. super dangerous nga ng emotion na anger...

    ugh. as in.

    but it's part of human nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Lately, ang bilis bilis ko magalit haha. Pati yun nakakagalit. ampf.

      Delete
  2. Ang dami mong issues, Jeki. *hehe* Pero gusto ko yung mga ganyang klaseng mga kaibigan—yung kagaya mo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ma-isyu akong tao haha. tawag sa akin ng mga dati kong barkadang blogger DK as in Drama King lol

      kung gusto mo ng isyu, naku lapit ka lang sa akin, sandamakmak na isyu makukuha mo lelz

      Delete
    2. Mga "dating" barkadang blogger? So matagal ka na pala nagba-blog? What happened to them?

      Delete
    3. blogger ako since 2004, multiply days pa nun. then I transferred sa BlogSpot ng 2006. stopped for a few years, at ngayon at nagbabalik.

      minsan, kwento ko kung bakit hindi na kami naguusap or nagkikita :D

      Delete