Monday, January 27, 2014

January is Movie Month

This month, I got to see 4 different movies in the cinema. The first one for the year was The Legend of Hercules. After reading and hearing bad reviews about the movie, I had set my bar a little lower than before. Yet I am joyfully disappointed and when I did enjoy the movie in some way. It is very educational. Though I would have preferred more "Rated R" scenes, the way the story was told was more of like those films that I grew up watching in school - more info less impact. Needless to say, if they had shown more of Hercules bulge, it would have garnered a higher rating among critics.

The Legend of Hercules - 3 Stars

The next movie I got to see was 47 Ronin. A tale of both of flight and tradition. I enjoyed this movie more than the first for one reason - Samurai. I fancy Japan and their culture. Plus I do love Samurai X and my dear mother always say that I was actually "pinaglihi" in a show titled "Samurai ng Shogun" back in the 80s. A lot of critics again bashed this movie. Maybe it does lack direction sometimes. But it stayed true to it's plot. That is of honor. Those who are actually not that familiar with the Samurai's honor will definitely get lost mid screening.

47 Ronin - 4 Stars

A couple of weeks passed, it was Bride for Rent that was being screened. Just like what I said in my previous post, I am not a big local movie fan. However, when I was asked to see it, I had no choice but to come along. And I tell you it was the best movie I've seen in the past 2 months, MMFF included. We laughed, we giggled, we cheered, and the entire movie house sounded like a flee market with all of use get swooned by the "kilig" moments the movie provided. Needless to say, that shower scene will be something I will not forget for a long time.

Bride for Rent - 5 Stars

Then it was Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Of all the movies that I saw this month, this is the most underrated. People are bashing the movie left and right. I mean, I'm with them that the change in the time line is not staying true to what the book is about. However, I also think that letting it be more "at present" made the movie more thrilling and exciting. Don't get me wrong, all the cliches are there. If not for the person holding my hand, I would have ended writing a different piece. The heart-stopping actions and the thrills provided by the spy scene are all too familiar. But this is when it all started to comeback to me. It is not about anticipating what the next scene will be nor about prediciting what the person will be doing next. Movies are all about being caught in the moment. To escape to the world that the scene is trying to convey. As cheesy at it may seem, by allowing myself to get swallowed up in every scene and every dialogue, I was able to enjoy every single minute of my stay in the cinema.

Nay sayers will bash. I agree with them sometimes. That's why I relegate myself to watching movies at home. I find it both economical and practical to just download and watch them in my leisure. I was so caught up with being a pirate that I lost sight and touch of the cinema magic. The feeling of excitement, the escapism it provides while in the dark cinema. The collective gasps of oohs and aahs and the "kilig" factor multiplied by ten when you know those around you are also feeling the same way you do. As of this writing, I'm smiling. Because for the first time in a long time, I feel that the magic is back. I can feel it coursing through my veins. And I can feel that tingling sensation of excitement for the next batch of movies on my list for the year.

I therefore declare that 2014 is the year to sit back, relax, and enjoy the movie.


See you in the cinemas!

4 comments:

  1. Sabi nila, maganda rin daw yung 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty'... Kaso wala akong time manood. Yung 'Bride For Rent' ida-download ko na lang. Feel ko kasi baka sayang pera, gaya ng 'My Little Bossings'. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend na panuorin mo sa big screen kasi kasama sa magic nung movie ung reaction ng mga tao sa loob ng cinema. mula sa tawa kilig at ung biglang dead silence while waiting for the next line... kakatuwang social experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh please start watching local movies (well hindi naman lahat maganda like hollywood films hindi rin naman lahat maganda pero sayang kasi may mga local films na okey pero hindi nasusuportahan). sayang kasi sino sino pa ba ang susuporta sa local cinema kung hindi tayo lang. hehe


    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the patriotic call to support the almost dead movie industry kung meron nga tayong "industry" pero kasi parang sayang ang pera.... buti na lang mahigpit ang OMD. madaling mapirata ang mga foreign films kaya easy download as torrent ang mga local mahirap kaya forced tayo manuod sa big screens :)

    ReplyDelete