Thursday, January 23, 2014

Retro Post #1 MMFF

I don't like watching local movies. They seem to have lost the luster and the shine of the past. I still can't get over the feeling of being robbed after watching Mano Po and Tanging Ina. And if I would have my way, I will only watch these so called movies in the comfort of my own home, when there's nothing good on TV or DVD or in the absence of any remotely interesting games I could play with myself. But that was before. Oh how time has changed.

December 2013. I binge watched the entire Shake Rattle and Roll franchise after reading Kalansay's post about SRR. That's the first time in a long time that I sat through a local movie. I had to force feed myself in some of the franchise's version because they're just plain, uhm, pathetic.

The same month, I was happily dragged by my partner to watch the MMFF entries. I enjoyed it for the most part. Pagpag was a delight to watch. That opening scene was one of the best I've seen in a local movie in a long time. GBBT's saving grace came in the form of the Diamond Star herself. Naysayers are saying that someone else deserve the acting award that she won. They probably need to be hit in the head to knock the stupid out of them. Maricel Soriano acted with her eyes. The pain conveyed, not with words or shrieks that she popularized in the last decade, but with actions or lack there of. Not over the top but just exactly hitting the mark. She deserves the accolades indeed. On the other hand, Kimmydora and My Little Bossing were a complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see 10,000 hours or Boy Golden. I heard good reviews for them but the budget and time constraints stopped us from watching both movies.

Even though it was evident that the Philippine movie industry has still a long way to go to compete in the global arena, these recent entries are proof that we are making baby steps toward quality. And now, I can't wait to see what will be the entries next year.

4 comments:

  1. Woah, I can't believe na natapos mo lahat ng SRR movies. Was that in one sitting? Hindi naman siguro.

    Nung MMFF 2013, 'My Little Bossings' lang ang napanood ko. Sayang pera. Bwisit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo one sitting lang. isang mahabang araw na walang magawa kung hindi umupo at humiga dahil may sakit.

    Next year, mag schedule tayo ng movie time with other bloggers tapos bash natin ng walang humpay hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh em! haha ngayon ko lang ito binasa. wow. pinanood mo pala lahat. hehe gosh. haha shet sana iniskip mo na lang yung 2k5, 11 at 12! hahaha

    san ka nanood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at ano ang mga naging fave episodes mo pala? hehe

      ps
      boy golden is better than 10,000 hours. hehe

      Delete