Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Samaritan's Dilemma

 
"The Samaritan's dilemma is a dilemma in the act of charity. It hinges on the idea that when presented with charity, in some location such as a soup kitchen, a person will act in one of two ways: using the charity to improve their situation, or coming to rely on charity as a means of survival."
 
 
I grew up with a father that helps other people first before his family. I never understood the reasoning behind it. Probably because I never asked him why. I just relegated myself into thinking that perhaps, he thinks that we are more than capable than those that he helps. Though it was never the case, it got me through most nights.
 
As I grow older, I've adapted a philosophy I came across in a book. "I help not because I have plenty, but because I know what it felt to have none". It just hit me like a boulder. I never knew such words can reflect what I'm feeling inside. I never knew words can express what I had experienced and what I feel whenever I came across someone I think is in need of help. Until now, writing about these words, I can't help but feel a sense of awe. Such powerful words.
 
With the advent of social media, we came across a slew of articles that shows people helping other people almost on a daily basis. Whatever motivation they have for helping, whether they share it to the world for fame or for more humanitarian reasons, the important thing is that they helped. I helped a few times but I never mentioned it to a group or post it online until today. Because I encountered something that's new to me. My own version of the Samaritan's Dilemma or SD.
 
People that I came across with that I helped in some form or another doesn't fall under the "official" clause of the SD. They weren't asking for help but they clearly need it. These people weren't looking for charity from me. They were just trying to get on by themselves. Either too ashamed to ask for help or are had reached their limit of rejections for the day. In any case, I was just glad that I was able to help. however, earlier today, while having lunch with my partner after going the groceries, I saw an old lady, sitting by herself in the food court, munching on some bread sticks for lunch. By the looks of her, she had her entire belongings with her. She was not asking for alms or talking to anyone. She was just there. Sitting. Alone. Trying to pass whatever food she have for lunch with the help of a couple of glass of water. Her disposition tugged at my heart. I wanted to approach her. To ask her if she needed help. But I didn't. I held back.
 
Her demeanor, though showing weakness, doesn't translate to what people classify as "street people". Her clothes weren't torn nor dirty. The things inside her bag were properly tucked. I pointed her to my partner to get an opinion on the matter.
 
maybe she's just waiting for someone?
 
maybe. or maybe, she just doesn't want to appear to be a bother so as not to catch the guards attention.
 
do you think we should approach her?
 
I don't know. I don't want her to think that we look down at her.
 
I agree. She might think that we think too highly of ourselves to think that she needs help.
 
yeah, you're probably right. But look at her, she obviously needed help.
 
what do you want to do?
 
I'm thinking of buying something from Jollibee for her. Probably engage her in a conversation. Find her story.
 
yeah you can do that. But what if she doesn't want to be bothered? How can you be sure that she does need your help?
 
I, uhm... I don't know...
 
 
We went our way without approaching her. Looking back, I should have just approached her. Not to offer any help but just to start a conversation.
 
Huh. I guess it's not a dilemma after all.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I remember several stories you wrote about your past and about your family. They were very emotional and sobrang nakakadala. Wala na bang kasunod ang mga 'yun?

    Anyway, about your post, minsan may mga ganito rin akong eksena. Gusto mong tumulong pero nag-aalala ka na masamain ang gagawin mo. Pero siguro pride na lang ang pinapairal natin kapag ganun. It isn't really kindness if you didn't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah oo nga madrama nga yung mga stories ko before about my family. inaantay ko pa maging bilog yung buwan ulit. ayaw lumabas ng emosyon. masyado nakabaon :D

      I agree, if we don't do anything, we are not helping. Pero paano yung sinasabi nila na you are helping by not doing anything?

      Delete