Monday, June 22, 2015

Father's Day Blues

I don't have any kids or any people that I consider as my children so I'm definitely not a dad. I'm not a priest either so nobody calls me 'father'. But what I lack in certain aspects, I more than make up for in my appearance. Because even though I am not a literal 'daddy', I do look like one.

I guess it was inevitable. I am almost thirty three years old anyway. Most of my batch mates in college are now parents. All of my childhood friends are married, except for the one who's currently in a cruise as a waiter. He's a little 'special' so he doesn't count. Add to that that I am not good with kids. Probably because I do not like them.

Yes, I do not like kids. Don't get me wrong, I do get swooned just like any regular guy when I see a baby smile or hear them laugh. It's a feeling that I can't even compare to anything yet. However, I do not like to hear crying babies in a public area, or at home, or anywhere in particular. I do not like unruly kids. That's probably the reason why kids doesn't like me back. I don't care. As long as they stay away from me, I'm happy. But I digress.

Anyway, back to the topic. Yes, I am not a dad and probably will never be one. But I do look like a dad already. I have a 'dad bod' as people nowadays would like to call it. I also wear wire rimmed glasses that probably adds to the 'fatherly look'. That's why when someone asks my age, I always answer with a disclaimer - 'I'm 32 but I know I look like 42' and then smile at them.

Here's a funny story. This happened back in 2008 (I guess even then, I do look like an old guy!) I was at Krispy Kreme on a lazy Sunday, enjoying my hot cup of tea, while reading the morning papers, when suddenly, this crew gal came from nowhere, approached me, and said, "sir, happy father's day po!" and proceeded with giving me a free donut. I was surprised but just smiled and took the free desert (yes, I'm evil, I know)

The following year, I went out for lunch with my childhood buddies at El Polo Loco in MegaMall. When we arrived, I barked my usual orders to my friends to secure a seat for us and to grab some utensils, then I went to the cashier to place our order. Yup, you guess that right! She told me I'll be getting half a chicken for free since it's father's day, and then greeted me with her smile. I smiled back and asked her how did she know. She told me that I was with my kids. MY KIDS! Fine, I'm the oldest in the group but I'm just two years their senior. I was aghast but of course, I took the free chicken. Payment for my bruised ego. LOL.

So there you have it. And to all the dads out there, who deserve to have a free donut or free half a chicken, thank  you, thank you, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Parehas talaga tayo, Jeks! Slightly different lang ang sa akin. Though hindi ako mukhang tatay, I look matured na daw for my age. Nung college sophomore ako, napagkamalan akong second courser ng kaklase ko. I took it as an insult kaya hindi ko na siya kinausap for the rest of the year. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yung salamin talaga yan Sepoy haha. Kaya nakupo, si bossing, gusto lagi akong naka contact lens para daw di masyado magmukhang mag tatay kami kapag nasa labas. Baby face daw sya ako daddy face. Ampf haha

      Delete
    2. Depende siguro sa frame ng salamin. Ayoko ng contacts kasi hassle at medyo masakit sa mata minsan.

      Delete
    3. Siguro nga sa frame yan. Yung contacts, before ayaw na ayaw ko nyan kasi nga hassle at masakit pero syempre, sabi ni bossing gawin, weh di gawin. LOL.

      Delete